Sunday, May 5, 2013

Great Russian River Race

1 trashed fin, 2 holes in my board and a 3rd place finish.  What a fun event!  This was my first time running the section of river from Alexander Valley campground to Veterans Memorial Beach Park in Healdsburg.  The fifteen mile route started out shallow and rocky and continued for most of the race.  Some fast moving water in places moved over shallow rapids and around overgrown bends.  More than once I got stopped or knocked off my board trying to take a fast water line and ending up in the trees.  And then there was the one rock my fin connected with that stopped the board dead and sent me flying forwards into the water.  Luckily I paddled my 14' beater board anticipating rocks and that was the right decision.

Great race and I'll be back next year!



No comments:

Post a Comment