These courses are designed for experienced standup paddlers with solid Level two skills. Over the course of the workshop we attempt to progress each candidates skills by breaking strokes & maneuvers down into pieces and reinforcing paddling concepts.
We work on:
- Forward strokes (standard, canted, cross)
- reverse strokes (standard, reverse J)
- draw strokes (standard, sculling, sideslip, cross-nose)
- turning strokes (sweeps, rudders, pivots)
- braces (low, high, sculling, heelside)
- rescues & towing methods
- group management & leadership
- trip planning & navigation
We also cover a ton of theory related to paddling concepts, teaching & learning theory, learning styles, delivery methods, teaching models and much, much more.
This course was funded by a US Coast Guard grant with the intentions of better educating key personnel managing & delivering on-water standup paddling programs. Candidates included waterfront directors, college sport providers, municipal recreation managers, adaptive program facilitators and non-profit organizers.