Wednesday, March 6, 2013

BCU 5 Star Sea Leader Training

I finally got a chance to paddle at GGSKS this year, but it wasn't until Monday morning during the 3-day 5 star training with Steve Maynard & John Carmody.  We had quite the group with Jen Kleck & Roger Schumann joining the coaching team.  Santiago, Victor, Andrea, Kim, David, Lee, Richard & myself had a full 3 days of BCU that was fun, mellow and complete with broaching whales underneath the Golden Gate.  We saw mysterious 6-ft breakers rolling into the bay and we had strong representation from the Mexican Canoe Union (MCU).  It was just fun.  

Sometimes I think there's a misconception that 5* means going out in the big stuff and limping home with broken boats & tall tales.  It's a leadership award that says you're safe and competent to lead a group of skilled paddlers in open water conditions.  It's not about hard-charging, it's about bringing your awareness to another level and refining skills.  The award is highly attainable for most paddlers I know yet very few of them work towards it.  For me, it's always been a personal goal and a milestone.  Paddling is my biggest connection to the outdoors and the better I get at it, the further it will take me.  If you have any interest in the British Canoe Union, read more about the awards here.


Santiago & John formulating a plan


No comments:

Post a Comment